GEOSS information exchange has been principally based on the Internet and contributing information distribution systems such as GEONETCast, the Global Telecommunications Network (GTS) component of the WMO Information System (WIS). GEO, through collaboration with existing and new contributors will explore possibilities of making other communication resources available and advocate for adequate resources to develop the communication infrastructure that will ensure wider and sustainable access to and use of EO data and information.
Activities for the period
- Document existing communication infrastructure within GEOSS and develop concept architecture for a worldwide communication network of networks available to GEOSS. This concept should incorporate how to complement existing use of the Internet and operational data transmission services such as the WMO Information Systems (WIS) and GEONETCast;
- Draft a plan delineating how individual services could complement the other networks for the benefit of GEO Members, outlining requirements for operation, maintenance and administration;
- Engage with AfriGEOSS and potentially other Flagships and Initiatives to assess network requirements and possible improvements of data dissemination;
- Support AfriGEOSS and the African National Research and Education Networks (NRENs) to discuss existing communication infrastructure, requirements and developing activities in the region;
- Investigate state of art information technologies, such as cloud services, available through existing and potential contributing networks and how these may be applied to GEOSS.
- Engage with GEOSS data providers to seek potential cooperation with and requirements to the GEOSS communication networks;
- Discuss further development and seek cooperation with new GEO partners on the initial progress and findings of this task (e.g, Single Sign On, Cloud Computing, Multi Cast), which were reported at the 16th session of the WMO Commission for Basic Systems (CBS) held in November 2016.
Members: Brazil, EC, Egypt, France, Germany.
Participating Organizations: ASREN, WMO.
Others: GÉANT (pan-European data network for the research and education).
Linkages across Work Programme
Initiatives: AfriGEOSS; GEO-EVOLVE.
Leadership & Contributors (this list is being populated)
Jose Mauro De Rezende