Aiming at a global scope of ecological and environmental monitoring and analysing, GEOARC will propose a protocol framework for the monitoring and analyzing regarding biodiversity and ecosystem information and knowledge, to generate and release annual report to support public decision-making. This framework is important for connecting and involving the data and information from different fields and to employ related research teams to join in.
The Global Ecosystems and Environment Observation and Analysis Annual Report was launched by the Ministry of Science and Technology of the People’s Republic of China in 2012, and it was organized by National Remote Sensing Center of China (NRSCC) and national key laboratory of remote sensing science. Annual reports have been released continuously in the last 5 years since 2012, which mainly focus on the typical ecological environment elements and key environmental issues, with dynamic monitoring and comprehensive analysis being conducted using the latest Earth observation technology. The annual reports were published by Science Press, and the related datasets have been released on the website (http://chinageoss.org/dsp/home/index.jsp) and published by the Global change scientific research data publishing system (http://www.geodoi.ac.cn/WebCn/).
The main objectives of GEOARC include:
- Promote the idea of routine and comprehensive report for decision-making in global ecological and environmental monitoring and analysis;
- Promote the international standard and method for data and information delivering and exchanging among the current GEOSS programme activities and other programmes;
- Set up a cooperation network for all participants to join in the comprehensive analyses and synergic composing for the annual report;
- Set up a cooperation network to promote different users to share and use the annual report and related dataset by training courses or workshops.
Proposed Activities for the period
- Joining in GEO international conferences to promote the idea;
- Participating in activities for data sharing, report writing and promotion to the decision-makers;
- Organizing international conferences or communicating through different ways to form the framework;
- Organizing technical workshops on remote sensing data integration and normalization techniques, for several domains including land cover/land use, hydrology, agriculture, vegetation, urban resilience, and oceans);
- Annual report and products publication on the GEOSS portal (http://www.geoportal.org/);
- Organizing international workshops and conferences to promote the report, collaboration and training of data use annually.
- Report on “Remote Sensing Monitoring of Global Ecosystems and Environment" supported by Chinese Ministry of Science and Technology (1 million CNY/yr);
- Report on "Generation of the Global Climate Data Records for Monitoring Essential Climate Processes and Variables", supported by Chinese Ministry of Science and Technology (6 million CNY/yr);
- Report on "Satellite Remote Sensing and Modeling Land Surface Energy and Water Exchange Processes" supported by Chinese Ministry of Science and Technology (4 million CNY/yr);
- Report on "Remote sensing inversion methodology based on algorithm ensembles", National Natural Science Funds of China (0.6 million CNY/yr);
- Projects supported by the state key laboratory of Remote Sensing Sciences, Institute of Remote Sensing and Digital Earth, Chinese Academy of Sciences (5 million CNY/yr);
- Projects supported by the State Key laboratory of Satellite Ocean Environment, Second Institute of Oceanography (SIO), State Oceanic Administrator (SOA), China (3 million CNY /yr);
- Higher Education Commission of Pakistan (0.5 million PKR/yr).
Members: Australia, Austria, Bangladesh, EC, Egypt, France, India, Italy, the Netherlands, Pakistan, Spain, UK, USA.
Linkages across Work Programme
Flagships: GEO BON; GEOGLAM.
Initiatives: GEO Carbon and GHG; GEO Global Ecosystem (GEO ECO); GEOGLOWS; Land Cover and Land Cover Change; Oceans and Society: Blue Planet.
Leadership & Contributors (this list is being populated)
No data found...